The Abbott Government has teased Chifley voters with a partial roll-out of the National Broadband Network in parts of Woodcroft, but it needs to finish the job across Western Sydney.
Woodcroft was among the Chifley electorate suburbs scrubbed from the NBN roll-out plans after the Coalition took office last year.
The most recent plans suggest Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has had a change of heart and re-included a portion of Woodcroft within the NBN roll-out. However Federal MP for Chifley Ed Husic says those plans remain half-baked.
"The former Labor Government finally offered a solution for long-suffering Woodcroft residents, but the Coalition took that solution away, which upset many,” Mr Husic said.
Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s about-face on broadband for Woodcroft follows vigorous campaigning by Mr Husic on the back of widespread discontent among local residents.
“While I welcome Malcolm Turnbull’s change of heart, it’s worth remembering this is 2014 and broadband in a first world nation should not be a vision, it should be a given".
Mr Husic and Shadow Communications Minister Jason Clare will next Tuesday night, May 6, host a Community Forum at the Woodcroft Neighbourhood Centre (65 Woodcroft Drive, Woodcroft) to discuss with the public their concerns about the stilted NBN roll-out by the Coalition.
Last December Minister Turnbull conceded in Federal Parliament that just 26 percent of Australian households and businesses would receive "very fast internet" as promised by the previous Labor government .
"The pressure is now on the Abbott Government to deliver to the fastest growing area of the nation, Western Sydney," Mr Husic concluded.
See Mr Husic’s speech in Parliament on NBN for Woodcroft here;